40 despatch stock car is brown with white lettering and
runs on Bettendorf trucks. Originally built as single-sheathed
automobile boxcars, Wabash rebuilt this series of cars in 1933
and 1934 to single level stock cars. Primarily used to haul cattle
from the farms to market, there were 400 cars total in this series,
with many remaining in service until the late 1960s.