||Every model railroad should have a purpose and a setting. Logging railroad, bridge route, commuter line - the themes are numerous. The settings are unlimited: mountain range, metropolitan area, prairie flatland.
Modelers often look to the prototype (real railroad) for ideas, even if their layout represents a fictional railroad. The prototype yields unlimited ideas for operations, track arrangement, structures, and rolling stock. This is why the Railroad You Can Model series became one of the most popular fetures of Model Railroader magazine.
This book features 12 of the most popular prototype Railroads You Can Model that appeared in the pages of Railroads You Can Model and More Railroads You Can Model. Each layout design features:
- A brief description of the historic U.S. railroad
- Map of the prototype railroad
- Detailed track plan adaptable to any scale
- Modeling notes and suggestions
- Numerous photographs of the prototype railroad, including structures and details that appear alongside the track
You may be a modeler who likes to model a prototype tie for tie, or you may choose to adapt selected prototype features to a fictional model railroad. Whatever your preference, we're sure you'll get many new ideas from the pages of Classic Railroads You Can Model.
8¼" x 10-3/4", 104 pages, 280 black & white photos, soft cover